I'm not gonna lie. It was a long process to get my non-profit set up.
But, if I can do it...so can you!
Here are the steps I followed.
***Some of them may have changed, so you might want to consult THE ALMIGHTY GOOGLE. :)
1. Call 512-463-5555 to check name availably
2. Form 501—General Information
(Application for Reservation or Renewal of Reservation of an Entity Name)
Submit the completed form in duplicate along with the filing fee ($40). The form may be mailed to P.O. Box 13697, Austin, Texas 78711-3697
3. Form 202—General Information (Certificate of Formation – Nonprofit Corporation)
Submit the completed form in duplicate along with the filing fee ($25). The form may be mailed to P.O. Box 13697, Austin, Texas, 78711-3697
4. Received the Certificate of Formation in the mail
5. Apply for EIN at www.irs.gov (search for EIN and use the online assistant for application).
6. You file this with the state after you receive confirmation from the Federal Government that you are indeed a non-profit with 501c3 status.
***If we need to make changes (like a change in address): https://www.irs.gov/uac/Where-to-File-Your-Taxes--(for-Form-SS-4)